Friday, April 27, 2012

Shirred Bubble Romber

I pinned an adorable jumper on Pinterest several weeks ago and challenged myself to make one like it.  Well, here it is!  I think it's pretty adorable!

I used a pattern from Whimsy Couture, but took off five inches from the total length of the main piece to add the yellow fabric.  I also added an extra inch to the total length and width of the pattern pieces.  I used a rolled hem on the yellow fabric top and bottom.  I also used a rolled hem on the top of the floral main fabric.  Then I overlapped the bottom of the yellow fabric on the top of the floral fabric 1 inch and sewed them together 1/2 inch from the bottom of the yellow fabric.  I did the same with the yellow fabric on the legs, not adjusting any length there.  The flower on the bodice is removable so the jumper can be washed without mangling the flower.  I made the strips like one would make bias tape and stitched the edge closed.  I used elastic thread to shir the bodice and legs.  I tried the romper on Addi and pinned the straps in place.  Moving the straps in slightly on the back and angling them outward really helps in keeping them from falling down when on.  Whaddya think?

2 comments:

  1. Cute bubble romper! As for your question about the piping on my 'Love' skirt, I would just use the general rope that goes inside piping. Not fabric covered piping. You can dye the rope any color you want using RIT dye, and it would work perfect! Thanks so much for reaching out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and thanks for the response! That makes sense. I am working on a whole wardrobe for my niece who is starting kindergarten in a few weeks and I think this would be super cute with the word "play" on it. I cannot wait for the telephone love shirt tut. I just got some houndstooth twill to make a pair of pants for my little man and I think that would pair amazingly with it. By the way, your kiddos' collections are what inspired me to make my niece's. I hope to post soonish.

      Delete