Sunday, April 10, 2011

Fireman Diaper Cover

So, bug is having a photo shoot tomorrow and I thought how cute it would be to dress him in his favorite rain boots.  They're fireman rain boots and he LOVES them.  This isn't the kind of photo session he can be naked for.  So, I decided to make him a diaper cover and I remembered seeing an adorable fireman fabric at Wally Mart.  I have no idea how to make a diaper cover, so I scoured the crafty blogs and decided to use this one.  I'm feeling a bit skeptical because the pieces look ginormous!  We'll see what happens.  I wanted to give the diaper cover a more finished look, so I decided to use the colored bias tape.  In this case, we're using red.  If I do it right, I think it'll be adorable.  Here are the steps I took:

  • print patterns
  • cut pieces to right size (6-12 mos for bug)
  • place on top of fabric and cut
  • make unsure faces at the very large fabric pieces
  • trim off a bit at legs and waist to allow for bias tape
  • line up front and back pieces, pin, and sew together
  • sew crotch pieces together
  • iron down 1/4 on all raw edges
  • pin bias tape on-1/2 in for legs, 1 in for waist
  • rip stitches at seam because I forgot to leave an opening for the elastic
  • thread elastic through with safety pin
  • overlap elastic and zig-zag stitch
  • stitch legs and waist opening closed
  • convince bug to try it on for mommy
And here is the end result-Pretty cute, right?  I think I shall make several more and pair them with tanks for summer lounging in 110 degree weather!



No comments:

Post a Comment