Friday, March 25, 2011

Argyle-ish Tee



I love all of the argyle shirts I'm seeing around.  Old Navy has several right now that are so dang cute, but they cost twelve bucks!  So, I said to myself, "Self, why buy a shirt for $12 when you can just snazz up one of bug's plain tees for free?"  And, so I did.  Here's what I did:
  • raid bug's drawer for plain white tee
  • scavenge through scrap bag for some kind of plaid and coordinating plain fabric
  • drive to Joann's anyway to pick up some adorable fabric anyway ( I came home with 1/8 yd of cute blue plaid, a 9x12 piece of gray felt, and a 9x12 piece of light blue felt=$4)
  • cut out several diamonds of all three fabrics and laid them out on the shirt in a pattern I liked
  • attached diamonds to iron-on no-sew heat n bond, then cut heat n bond to size
  • peeled paper off heat n bonded diamonds one at a time, so as not to screw up the pattern
  • ironed all the diamonds on to the tee
  • took a ruler and drew diagonal lines through the diamonds with a water soluble fabric pen
  • used embroidery floss to stitch on lines
  • pushed it over bug's head and took a thousand pictures
  • front
    front (a little closer)
    back

7 comments:

  1. VERY cute! I love the diamond on the back, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very cute! I may have to make one of these for my new nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute idea. I like the diamond on the back too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. It looks so cute with his little hat.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable! It is ridiculous how expensive it is for an embellished shirt!

    ReplyDelete